True Life: Sophia Amoruso’s book changed my life.
It had a motivating effect that was at once jarring and exhilarating. It breathed new life into my scattered, deflated dreams, and lent an unparalleled sense of empowerment and aim. It inspired me to spend less time brainstorming the endless possibilities, and more time going after the things I want; to get OUT of my head, and INTO the world.
Plainly, it made me get off my ass, and GET SHIT DONE.
In a recent interview with ABC News’ Amy Robach, Ultimate Girl Boss Taylor Swift said, “We live in a takedown culture. People will find anything about you, and twist it to where it’s weird, or wrong, or annoying, or strange, or bad.”
And truer words have never been spoken. We — women in particular– are infatuated with judging, criticizing, shaming, mocking, and hating on our fellow women. I’m guilty. You’re guilty. We’re all guilty.
So, in addition to the #ImAGirlBoss series serving as inspiration, I want it to serve as a lift-up cultural movement. Instead of “taking down,” as Taylor Swift put it, let’s CELEBRATE each other. Because we’re all doing some seriously badass stuff, and we should be proud of each other. Women are about to take over the world.
Through living in New York and Los Angeles — and working in TV, radio, editorial, nightlife, social media, and music — I have been fortunate enough to meet LOTS of Girl Bosses. TV hosts, musicians, writers, fashion bloggers, DJs, PR chicks, social media mavens — you name it. Like in The Sixth Sense — I see Girl Bosses. They’re everywhere.
I can’t wait to share the awesomeness of these ladies with you, and if you know a Girl Boss, recommend her!
THE GIRL BOSS MASTER LIST: (ordered by appearance)
- Asha Dahya: Host + Blogger, GirlTalkHQ
- Katie Corrado: TV Anchor, FOXCT
- Chelsea Briggs: Host + Executive Producer, HollywireTV
- Ashley Fultz: Fashion Blogger + Style Expert, The Style Editrix
- Sarah Moshman: Emmy Award-Winning Documentary Filmmaker
- DJ Kalkutta: DJ + Music Producer
- Zoya Biglary: Business Developer, LSTN
- Grasie Mercedes: TV Host + Style Blogger, Style Me Grasie
- Michelle Madonna: Founder, That Madonna Girl
- Taye Hansberry: Fashion Blogger + Actress, Stuff She Likes
- Lindsey Caldwell: E! News Reporter + Blogger, IfYouCanDreamItDoIt.com
- Alyssa Castiglia: A&R, Island Records
- Stuart Brazell: TV Host + Founder, DirtyandThirty
- Melanie Starling: Producer, SiriusXM
- Sazan Barzani: Lifestyle Blogger, Sazan
- Laura Galvan: Style Blogger, So-Last-Year
- Alex Wehrley: TV Host, E! News
- Samantha Chin: Publicist, TheSamChin.com
- Cyndi Ramirez: Founder, TasteTheStyle + USEDAILE
- Meredith Truax: In-House Photographer, Universal Music Group
- Lauren Otis: Copywriter, Saatchi & Saatchi
- Christina Garibaldi: TV Host, MTV
- Samantha Lim: Features + Branded Content Director, StyleCaster
- Erin Chack: Senior Editor, BuzzFeed
- Bethany Heitman: Executive Editor, Seventeen Magazine